Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Takin' a Tumble

Yesterday I did a nice long bike ride with my good friend Bill. Bill is a very accomplished cyclist, in the process of becoming a certified personal trainer, and generally one of the kindest, most generous people you would ever hope to meet. He is training for a two day, 200 mile bike ride the end of the month and and wanted to get in some miles.

I am still very much a newbie to cycling. I trained for last year's triathlon on my big heavy hybrid that just screams 'I'm a mom pulling my kids in the Burley!' This Spring I bought a new, wonderful Trek 2.1 road bike. It is a fantastic bike. I totally feel like I am getting away with something when I ride it. Riding with Bill was great. Not only did I enjoy his company, but he was generous with his knowledge of cycling and kind in his praise.

We did a long (for me) moderately paced ride, that was mostly flat on a trail between West Des Moines and Waukee. (Next ride we are going to do some hill intervals so he can give me some tips on the gears - the place where I probably need the most help.) I have been using bike cleats and clip pedals for the first time. This Winter I used the cleats in Spinning and got the hang of getting in and out of the pedals. I've taken a handful of rides on my bike and grown increasingly confident with them. So naturally as we are coming up to the intersection at the end of a 34 or so mile bike ride I've grown comfortable enough in the pedals that I roll up to the intersection and completely forget to unclip. I went down like a sack of potatoes right into the grass. Nothing hurt but my pride. I probably won't do that again though....

I will close with a shout out to Hilary! We did a quick visit to Minnesota this weekend and Brian was generous to watch all the kids while we did a 3 mile run each morning. First morning - 3.2 miles at 9:47 pace. Not bad at all. Second morning we grabbed that route by the throat and did it again, but this time at a 9:29 pace. Oh, BTW, Hilary is 18 WEEKS PREGNANT. If I didn't like her so much I'd probably hate her a little....

2 comments:

  1. I think you took your obligatory forgot-to-unclip tumble. Check. Now you're done. I haven't had mine yet...perhaps I'm saving it for race day. Nice to see you and the girls last weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Kate, I'm sorry I'm laughing, but it is funny to hear! I also know it's very common to take a tumble at least once when adjusting to clipless pedals. I have yet to bike with them, but I'm assuming I'll have my fall sometime next summer.

    Thanks for the ego boosting comments. Like I told you, had I not been running with you, I wouldn't have lasted as long or gone as fast.

    ReplyDelete