I traveled a relatively familiar route - nearly four miles around a 10 minute pace on a beautiful, if not a bit muggy morning. By myself.
I am a relatively recent convert to the group running dynamic. And it's not a perfect fit. The group I trained with for Dam to Dam was largely faster than me. A handful of women ran near my pace. Deb, Janel and Karey run slightly faster than me, so on the mornings they show up I am gratefully pushed to improve my pace to keep up with these kind women. But many mornings I was tagging along 100 yards behind the pack, perfectly content to watch them at their 8:30/min pace and stay within shouting distance.
One of the loveliest books I've read recently is "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" by Haruki Murakami. Here is the passage that jumped out and stuck with me:
"I'm often asked what I think about as I run. Usually the people who ask have never run long distances themselves. I always ponder the question. What exactly do I think about when I'm running? I don't have a clue.
On cold days I guess I think about how cold it is. And about the heat on hot days. When I'm sad I think a little about sadness. When I'm happy I think a little about happiness. As I mentioned before, random memories come too. And occasionally, hardly ever, really, I get an idea to use in a novel. But really as I run, I don't think much of anything worth mentioning.
I just run. I run in a void. Or maybe I should put it the other way: I run in order to acquire a void. But as you might expect, an occasional thought will slip into this void. People's minds can't be a complete blank. Human beings' emotions are not strong or consistent enough to sustain a vacuum. What I mean is, the kinds of thoughts and ideas that invade my emotions as I run remain subordinate to that void. Lacking content, they are just random thoughts that gather around that central void."
Yeah, what he said. At times that void has been critical to me - to unplug, not think about much of anything. I am not generally able to create a void when I run with other people. And I've missed that in my group training. But here I am on the flip side, yesterday morning missing the group even as I slipped easily (and even gratefully) back into my void.
I've never really thought about that before, but I agree 100%. There have been times when I've headed out on a run with the intention to do some deep thinking over a particular issue. It usually doesn't last long. I quickly slip into what I now know...is the void. It's kind of a nice place to be for a short time each day. : )
ReplyDelete