However, I am feeling that old feeling creeping in that is the only real downside of triathlon training for me.... the feeling that I am not doing enough. Touching each sport twice a week leaves me with the feeling that I am not working hard enough, not doing enough. I suppose it isn't surprising that internal narrative is not exclusive to my exercise program. With a demanding job, a husband I adore, children who might just be the most delightful creatures on Earth the feeling of never enough invades my tightly choreographed days far too often. This week I am struggling with how to break that tape in all aspects of my life.
Friday, June 25, 2010
Never Enough
Last year I did my first (and only) triathlon. In a little more than two weeks (two weeks!) I will attempt my second. I am working hard to manage my own expectations since I won't have had a ton of time to train. The thing I really like about triathlon training is how energized I feel. I really enjoy the variety of exercises - mixing up the swim, the bike, the run leaves me feeling very loose. If I wake up one morning and just don't feel like running I can bike or swim without the guilt or the 'shoulda-wouldas.'
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ahhh...why is there always SOMETHING to feel guilty about.
ReplyDeleteBut I'm thinking we'd feel "the pull" to be doing other things regardless, so we might as well be quasi-fit (not to mention occasional triathletes), right?!?!?