Sunday, June 6, 2010

PR * Edited *

Yesterday morning I woke up at 4:30am to the sounds of pouring rain. I honestly thought for a moment about crawling back into bed and skipping the whole race. But 16 weeks of prep and the strong desire to improve on last year's time got me moving. I logged onto the computer to look at the weather and as I studied the radar imagines I began to wrap my mind around the fact that I was going to be running this race in the rain. A lot of rain.

Dam to Dam starts at the top of Saylorville Dam, but due to road closures the bus had to drop us off at the 1 mile mark, the opposite of where we usually begin. We had to walk across the dam to get to the start - a walk in stinging rain and wind. By the time I got to the porta-potty's then back start I was soaked through. My shoes were squishing when I walked.

The race was slow to start, the gun went off about 20 minutes behind schedule. I lined up at the 10 min/mile pace sign, but the first mile was congested with people who were moving a lot slower than that. I zig-zagged trying to find a space where I could run, but it was a 1 - 1 1/2 mile before things spread out and I hit my anticipated race pace of 9:40-10 min/mile.

Despite the heavy rain and winds my run went pretty well. At least it was cool! I crossed the 10K mark around 1:02 feeling pretty good. The rain finally tapered off around the 7-8 mile mark. Down by the marina just past the 10 mile mark I started to struggle. My legs were very tired, I was uncomfortably wet and really ready to be done. I started having some 'monkey mind' telling myself 'what do you think you are doing? why did you think you could run this far? I am never doing this again.' Then there was John, there to cheer me on!

I rounded the corner, up the long hill to mile 11, but when I turned the corner to the last mile I had a renewed burst of energy. I finished the last mile under 10 minute pace (around 9:45 by my Garmin) and crossed the finish line at 2:07:14 by my watch. My first thought when I crossed the finish line? "I wonder if I can crack 2 hours next year?"

They haven't posted the official chip times yet, but my last year's chip time was 2:17:36. My watch time brought me in a little more than 10 minutes below that. I finished feeling pretty good - much better than I felt at the finish last year. I feel proud that in one year's time I was able to shave that much time off - to set a new personal record for that course and give myself permission to contemplate the possibility that I could continue to get faster as I get older.

I am taking today as a rest day for my tired, crunchy legs. This afternoon I plan to plot out a training schedule for the next six weeks to race the Iowa Games sprint triathlon on July 11th.

*Edited to add:

The Dam to Dam website just posted chip times and mine was 2:07:15. Fine, I'll give them the 1 second difference between my watch and the chip. :)

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had an incredible race, despite less than ideal weather conditions. Your hard work definitely paid off! Maybe, just maybe I'll run the 20k with you next year!

    (Impressive that the chip time and your Garmin were only a second off!)

    ReplyDelete