Saturday, June 26, 2010

Revisiting the Bricks

This week I tried to focus on getting in a few brick workouts since I am on a compressed training timeline for the triathlon now just 15 days away. Monday I did a swim/run brick and felt great. So great, in fact, that I repeated that workout Friday. It went equally well.

This morning after yet another thunder storm passed through I went out for a bike ride. I still haven't hooked up my Garmin cadence sensor, but based on the route I took I would estimate I rode between 17-19 miles in about an hour and ten minutes. I hopped off my bike, changed my shoes, and went out for a very quick run around my neighborhood. The thing for me about the transition from the bike to the run is that I have absolutely no sense of my pace. A minute or two into the run I looked at my watch and was shocked to see I was running at a 7:45 pace. I slowed down, but couldn't have told you how fast I was going. I looped around the neighborhood and decided I would just run at a pace that felt like I was pushing myself, but do-able. It was hot (so hot) a little hilly and I finished .92 miles at a 9:15 pace. I have absolutely no idea if that is an accurate reflection of what could be possible on game day. I felt ok - could I have run another 2+ miles at that pace? Maybe....

I am leaving tomorrow for a work trip to Washington, DC and hoping to squeeze in a nice run before I go. (I always feel better if I exercise on travel days. Sort of counter-balances all the sitting!) My quick brick-week-in-review:

Monday: 30 minute swim/2 mile run, Pilates over the noon hour

Tuesday: Rest

Wednesday: Spinning (stoopid rain,when will it stop raining?)

Thursday: 3.5 mile run

Friday: 30 minute swim/2 mile run

Saturday: 1 hour, 10 min bike, a short mile run

Next week's challenges include making sure I get my workouts in with my travel schedule and John's travel schedule. Oh, and I still haven't done an open water swim. Who's in denial?!



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're cruising right along! Way to jump right into the bricks too! I am disappointed to say my first open water swim of this season felt a bit panicky...I was hoping I'd left that behind last year. However, it wasn't as bad as last year, so maybe there is hope...

    ReplyDelete