The race was supposed to be capped at 7500 runners, but due to a technical glitch more than 8000 people ran it. Because the course winds through trails, fields, bridges and a little woods there were several parts where the path narrowed and runners had no choice but to stop, wait, walk until the crowd made its way through. The gun went off at 9:00am and we didn't hit the 2 mile marker until 9:30am!
I was fortunate to run the race with some friends from my running group and our coach. They are all a little faster than me, but due to a number of slow spots that necessitated breaks I was able to keep pace with them during our stretches of wide open fields. I was grateful for the company and some assists along the way.
The Des Moines Register has some pictures posted here. It was cold, wet, muddy, hard and a total blast. Next year I hope John and I can run it together.
My time for the 7 miles was 1:46:52. I stress, this is a race like none I've done. Even with that time I was #184/412 for my age group and #1857/3649 overall (women).
My bones are weary today and I think I am planning my second 'break' day of my November challenge to self. I have no excuses except I just think anything I would do would hurt more than it would help!
We've got something here that sounds kind of like that...I had no idea that's what this race was. Sounds challenging and fun, albiet a little messy! Good for you!
ReplyDelete