Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Month in Review

Last month, itching for a new goal, I challenged myself to workout every day for a month. Yesterday that month came to a close with more of a whimper than a bang, but it was a good month and I learned somethings worth sharing.

First, the stats. I missed three workouts in the month of November, so I didn't exactly meet the goal. Two missed workouts (including yesterday, whoops) came as a result of life interference and frankly choices. You know, choices like hitting the snooze button and promising myself I would get to the gym over the noon hour. Then the noon hour comes and something else comes up and the day slips away. The third missed workout came the day after the Living History Farms race - my joints were achy and sore and I truly believed the best thing was a rest day.

I lost a little bit of weight this month. Defining a little bit.... my weight naturally fluctuates 3-4 pounds in any given week. For the past 10 days or so my weight has been consistently at the bottom end of that 3-4 pound range.

What were my lessons from this month?

Exercise, like cleaning my house, is better when done consistently, a little bit every day. For the past couple of years I have been a consistent exerciser, usually doing 5 workouts per week. This month I found comfort in making the space every day to do something. It evened out some of the urgency I sometimes feel when I start counting workouts and am saying to myself "I've only exercised 3 days so far this week - I need to make sure I get in at least 2 more."

When making a commitment to exercise every day I varied my work outs much more than I usually do. I lifted more weights. I attended a couple of new-to-me classes. I went to yoga more regularly. I tried to run 3 x per week and the let the rest of the workouts be whatever I felt like doing. I liked that a lot.

My pushing-40 body probably needs one full rest day per week. There were a number of times during this challenge where I did a very gentle workout (yoga, 30 easy minutes on the elliptical trainer) because I was tired or sore. There is no question I can increase the frequency and intensity of my workouts, particularly if I vary them more than I have been, but I think I need to take one rest day/gentle workout day per week.

December is here with all its holiday hustle and bustle and I am setting a new goal for myself. An attainable goal. One that I've seen reflected in a couple of places on the internet. 3 quality workouts per week. For me those quality workouts will relate to staying in some kind of running shape through the cold, dark months of winter. From there I will choose from a buffet of yoga, weight lifting, spinning or other classes to maintain some fitness and hopefully be ready for new challenges in 2011.


No comments:

Post a Comment