Thursday, December 16, 2010

In my head

Over the past year or so I've slowly come to a realization that really began to crystallize for me this month. Increasing my level of fitness, my level of performance is at least as much about my head as it is about my training. Huh. Who knows, maybe this has been abundantly obvious to you, but it is news to my nearly 39 year old self.

This realization came into focus for me yesterday. I was taking a class at my gym, led by my running coach. About a half a dozen women, a variety of ages and fitness levels were there. Joel set up stations for weight training with one, maybe two sets of weights that were heavier than I was used to lifting. We did a circuit with the weights, alternating with three minutes on the treadmill (for me - others used bike, elliptical etc...) near our threshold pace. As I was surveying the landscape I was thinking to myself "I'm not going to be able to do this." But then I was worried I'd look like a whimp. Or that I would somehow let my coach down (who I pay, by the way) and so I dove right in.

A little more than an hour later we'd done a circuit of 12-15 weight training exercises, alternating with a burst of fast running on the treadmill and I felt exhilarated. I've done versions this workout before, but.... I never got out of my head. I would use the lightest weights or do fewer reps or slow the treadmill. Yesterday I did none of those things - I just did the workout and I felt great. Not even terribly sore.

At the end of the workout Joel said something to the effect of "you're really starting to see how far you can push yourself" and I realized I was. Here I always thought working out was physical, but I am starting to see I am training my head at least as much as I am training my body.

1 comment: