This morning I crawled out of bed at 4:15am to race my second triathlon. Last year I had the company of my sister in law and her sister as well as a group of their friends from their neighborhood. Oh, and my mom, dad, husband and two daughters there to cheer me on. This year, I was alone. Just me and an inexpensive triathlon at a venue I've never seen a little more than an hour from my house.
Of course it rained. This is my second race of the year in soggy shoes. Dam to Dam - rain. (In fact, last year's triathlon was plagued by rain.) So I'm driving to Ogden, in the rain, and the mind monkeys start to invade. 'Why am I doing this? I am tired. I haven't really trained enough. And I wish I had some company.' When I got to the site the excitement of the event buoyed my spirits. I ran into a couple of casual acquaintances, I set up my transition area and chatted with the people around me. The rain quieted to sprinkles and I started to feel better.
The Swim:
By comparison, the swim for the Iowa Games was 400m, YWCA was 500m. The transition area was literally feet from where we exited the swim - maybe 20-25 feet. We lined up in waves, 2 minutes apart. We had the opportunity to get in the water as soon as the wave before us set off - this is, no doubt, my biggest help in calming my panic. Being able to stand in the water for a few minutes, get used to the temperature, take some deep breaths is very helpful. Having said that, the swim was still very hard. Maybe harder than last year. Even though I lined up at the back of the pack, there was still a lot of jockeying for position. The water was cold. I was 50-75m into the race telling myself 'calm down, swim, breathe.' I found my groove about 100m before the finish. As a bonus I stayed ahead of the wave behind me until the very end.
YWCA Swim Time: 15:40 (it was 100m longer)
YWCA 100m pace: 3:08
Iowa Games Swim Time: 9:50
Iowa Games 100m pace: 2:28
T1:
It's hardly fair to compare transitions between these two races. At the YWCA it was a long run (maybe 300 yards) into the transition area. This morning, it was right there. So why did I point it out? Because I came out of the water feeling like a drunk. It was hard to orient myself, get my bike cleats on and get out of the transition area. I had to steady myself on the bike rack. I almost forgot my helmet.
YWCA T1: 3:55
Iowa Games T1: 1:23
The Bike:
Naturally it started to rain harder as soon as the bike leg began. It was a relatively flat course with a few notable hills. Even with a tough swim I think I can say the bike was my least favorite. It was wet, the roads were slick, we were on an open course with cars whizzing by. I did love, love, love having my own, new bicycle out there. And the bike cleats were a revelation. I don't think I pushed it as hard as I could have - I was mindful of the wet roads. And I was glad when it was done.
YWCA Bike Time: 1:03:18 (It was two miles longer, I was on a rented bike, I had a shoe lace mishap)
YWCA Bike Pace: 15 mph
Iowa Games Bike Time: 46:38
Iowa Games Bike Pace: 16.8 mph
T2:
Unremarkable. Again, much closer and more compact than YWCA. Plus I was changing shoes, out of bike cleats into running shoes. I felt good - very excited to see my best sport, the run.
YWCA T2: 2:29
Iowa Games T2: 1:27 (I was fiddling with my watch)
The Run:
Oh my good friend the run. I was focused on doing what I could to keep my foot on the proverbial gas of the run. Yes, my confidence was shaken by the nine.year.old.girl! who passed me, but all in I felt great. In hindsight I feel like I could have pushed it a bit faster. My pace was inconsistent, because it is very hard for me to have a sense of pace coming off the bike. There were a couple of notable hills, including a doozy at mile 2.5. I finished strong with gas left in the tank.
YWCA Run Time: 32:25 (5K)
YWCA Run Pace: 10:26
Iowa Games Run Time: 28:29 (5K)
Iowa Games Run Pace: 9:11
All in I am feeling good about this race. Of course after a nap and a glass of wine!
Wow! Despite the weather, it sounds like you had a fantastic race! A 9:11 run pace?! That's insane...and awesome! Biking on slick roads would be scary. I'm glad that weren't any issues for you.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! See you next weekend!
Way to go! What improvements you've made...that's got to boost your confidence. I thought of you a thousand times this morning as we headed out...feeling terrible that you were on your own. But it sounds like you did more than just survive. Nice job. Looking forward to chatting about it more. I'll email soon.
ReplyDelete