Monday and Tuesday I had two lovely runs in Washington, DC. I got in a number of brick workouts, plus two open water swims before the rains swept in. This morning I did a 13 mile bike, followed by a 2.5 mile run. I've crossed over that place in my mind where I question 'can I do this?' which is a nice place to be.
I've started to contemplate what I hope to get out of this triathlon next weekend, to set some goals. I am going to try to avoid setting time goals for myself, instead I hope to gain the following:
1) More experience with the event in general.
2) Smoother transitions between sports.
3) To push myself in the bike/run portions of the event. (You'll note I said push myself in the bike/run portions. My only goal for the swim is to be comfortable, not panic, get in, get through, get out. )
I think the first two goals will help to inform #3. As I reflect on my first and only triathlon experience I think I held back more than I'd like. Maybe because it was my first, maybe because I wasn't willing to push myself through some discomfort, maybe it was because I wanted to be sure I had gas left in the tank to finish. Whatever it was, I'm not trying to be hard on myself - I just want to use this weekend's event to push myself harder than I did before. If I run out of gas the last half-mile then at least I'll have learned something for the next event.
Good for you. Sounds like you're working hard and I'm sure it will pay off...and I bet you'll see that you can push yourself much further than you thought you could. It's nice going into a tri as a "veteran", not a novice, eh?
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty sure your race is tomorrow (Sun) not today. GOOD LUCK! I can't wait to hear about it. I'm planning to head up early to watch Holly. I wish I could be out there competing, too!
ReplyDelete