Saturday, October 2, 2010

Half-Hearted

I have read that a person should rest (actively) one day for each mile raced. Last Sunday I raced 10, but it didn't really feel like I raced. My pace was fine, but the race was small and it honestly felt more like a tough training run than an actual race.

None the less, Monday I rested. Tuesday I did yoga, Wednesday I ran a slow 3.5, Thursday I did 20 mins on the elliptical and 20 mins of lifting, Friday I rested. With the exception of yoga, each attempt has felt half-hearted. Then today I was feeling itchy to run, so I set out on a 5.5 mile loop near my house. It is a favorite run, challenging with hills, long enough to feel long without being overwhelming. Today that run sucked. No two ways about it. It was very windy and I had a head wind for the hardest, hilliest 2 miles of the route. I felt sluggish, sore. I was thinking, "For Pete's sake Kate, 6 days ago you ran 10 miles faster than this, what's your problem?" (Nice internal voice, eh?)

Is it because I need more time to recover? Is it because I am done racing/training for the season? (At least I'm pretty sure I am.) Busy week at work? Greasy hash browns for breakfast? Whatever it is, I don't like it!

1 comment:

  1. My vote is #1. Need more time to recover....with #4 being a close second. Greasy hashbrowns had to have sat like a brick!

    ReplyDelete