After Sunday's 10 mile race my legs were very crunchy. My hips were sore, my knees ached all underscoring that I probably didn't have enough base miles accumulated to run that race strong. I enjoyed it, I'm glad I did it, but I will be more mindful in the future.
I took Monday as a rest day, but yesterday I did a yoga class over the noon hour. I really like this class and not just because the teacher is cute! It is hard work, but I always leave feeling loose and groovy. Yesterday I took my crunchy legs into class and began moving through our warm up. When we moved into our first downward facing dog my back cracked like I was being adjusted by a chiropractor. Forward fold and my tight hamstrings were screaming. Class was both hard and exactly what I needed.
As we moved through the poses I found myself feeling nauseous - first trimester nauseous. Motion sickness nauseous. It wasn't that I couldn't go on, I just didn't feel that great. This isn't the first time this has happened to me in yoga class and I started concocting a theory.... I began to tell myself that all the poses were helping to release the lactic acid stored in my body from this weekend's race. As that lactic acid was being released it was making me sick to my stomach.
My crunchy legs felt so much better after yesterday's class, but I felt kind of shakey and a little sick to my stomach the rest of the day. Last night I spent a little time on Dr. Google thinking I would confirm my theory about the release of lactic acid. Um, not so much. Turns out people frequently underestimate how much work yoga is - my reaction is not uncommon and means I should more aggresssively hydrate and have a little snack before class.
I still like my theory better!
Wednesday, September 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment