A familiar refrain at our house is that of making good choices.
"Is that a good choice?"
"Mama, if I make good choices today can we go to the park?"
I suppose it started out of some sense of empowering the girls in their behavior.
Last night I read this (perhaps I should just link every.single.post. she writes) and have been thinking about it ever since.
I know I live a very cautious life. I know I don't very often put myself out there unless I have a reasonable degree of certainty I will succeed. I can worry, oh can I worry. I know these traits are not all bad, but that post really got me thinking.
First, about myself. A few weeks ago I wrote about the possibility of running a marathon next year. Included in that post was a list of the things I am worried about. But really my list of worries could be summed up in one single phrase, "I am worried I will try and fail." Nevermind that I have printed out four different marathon training plans, that I have book marked the website.... I still can't bring myself to sign up. To say, "I'm going to try to do this."
Next, about my girls. It all of the sudden occurs to me in my refrain of 'making good choices' that I am instilling in them a similar sense of caution. That is good when it comes to things that involve their safety and well-being. But maybe I should dial it back and find new words to encourage them to boldly try for things that scare them a little bit. That they never, ever have to worry that I will be anything but proud of them, even if they come up short.
Friday, September 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment