I haaaatteeee running on the treadmill. The treadmill takes everything I love about running and sucks it all away. But lately it just feels too dark to run outside alone so early in the morning. I've been hauling myself to the gym, grinding it out on the treadmill, interspersing running with weight lifting to break up the monotony.
Then yesterday an email whips around from my running group.... our meetings have been sporadic in the aftermath of Dam to Dam, but folks are planning to meet Tuesdays and Fridays at 5:30am to run together as long as the weather permits. I was so excited I actually woke up around 4:45am ready to run.
Six of us met on the square, in the dark, comparing notes on how many layers of clothing we might need and how far we wanted to run. Two had just finished a marathon (with one Boston Qualifier - hate her a little bit) but the rest of us have just been trying to keep running. All of them run faster than me.
I started my Garmin and set off with the group with the plan to keep up as long as I could and then just try to keep them in sight. It was too dark to read my Garmin much of the time (surely it must have a light - I just couldn't find it) so I just ran. I hung in with the group until about mile 4 and then encouraged them to run ahead. We were on a well lit street, I could still see them and we were close to our cars.
The run was a little bit tough, but not terrible. I kept the group in sight for the last mile or so, but was surprised to look at my watch under the street lights and see a 9:40-9:50 pace.
I finished 4.7 miles at a 9:33/mile average pace. Not fast by most people's standards, but it still felt pretty good for me.
Friday, October 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Eeew. Hate running on the treadmill. I'd run a slightly-faster-than-comfortable-pace-in-the-dark-with-people-at-a-horrible-hour-of-the-morning any day of the week over a treadmill run. So good for you for getting out there.
ReplyDelete