Friday, October 29, 2010

Switching it Over

Thursday night I turned on the furnace for the first time this season. I got home from work and it was 66 degrees in the house and somehow the flick of the switch, first to 'auto,' then to 'heat,' then hearing (and smelling) the furnace click on and Fall was really here.

I'm feeling a bit at loose ends this Fall. Election season brings with it uncertainty about my professional future. I'm done training for anything in particular (although I did sign up for the Living History Farms Race) and it is just so darn dark in the mornings.

This morning I had an appointment to have my car serviced, so John took both girls to school. With a little time on my hands I went for a run outside around 7:30am. I had to dig out my running tights, my hat, my gloves. The battery on my shuffle was dead, so I ran without tunes. I ran on the trail where the leaves are turning. The sun was just coming up (yes at 7:30am - why is daylight saving time so late this year?!) and it was 28 degrees. Like the first hot weather run of the spring, my first cold weather run of the Fall felt foreign to me. I started thinking about the election, the holidays, what lies around this bend for me. I pounded out just under 4 miles at a pretty decent clip, never really getting warm. And I felt better.

2 comments:

  1. Running seems completely foreign to me right now, but I need to begin moving it up to the forefront of my mind before too long. Just today I was thinking of a winter run I did last Christmas break on a gray day with the slush slopping under my feet. Little did I know what the next 9 months would have in store for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that is why we run, huh? Because even when it's cold, or dark, or hot, or we're stressed about life...it usually just feels pretty good to go for a run.

    ReplyDelete