I ran Dam to Dam last year for the first time after promising myself for years I would give it a try. I trained by myself and mostly what I did was cover the distance necessary to finish the race. And I did finish it at an 11 minute pace - which included a bathroom break and a brutal final mile. This February I joined a running group at my gym and have been training for the 12.4 with them. It has been revelation - fartlek's, tempo runs, track work outs, hill workouts - all with company and at an intensity where I am seeing real progress.
Yesterday morning we met at 6:30am for the hardest workout I've ever done. First we ran 6 miles at race pace. Then we did 6 hill repeats. Then we jogged to the track where we did 2 x 800 meters (at 8:30 pace) then 2 x 400 (at 8:00 pace) then ran back to the trail head where we finished a 10.2 mile workout. (I know this because I am all geeked up on my Garmin running watch.) I was so tired when we were done and today my legs are very crunchy. But mostly I am still riding high on the fact that I actually did that workout and felt pretty strong doing it.
So tonight I am kicking around goal pace for the race, now just three weeks away. I'm not quite ready to commit....
Well crap, girl. That is an insane workout and you'll be kicking some serious tail this year at the Y! Good grief...I'd better get moving.
ReplyDelete