This morning we did a track workout - 10 minute (or so) warm up, 6 x 400 with a 1 minute rest between, 10 minute (or so) cool down. Just under 4 miles. I ran the 6 x 400 between 1:50-2:05 per... That's around 8 minute mile pace. I'm all geeked up on my running watch, but I haven't really figured out how to use it to determine my overall pace when we do track work outs. I was around 8 min miles on the 400's, around 9:40 miles when we were warming up and cooling down.
This season is the first time I've done any type of intentional speed work and I am surprised by how much I like it. I have seen real progress in my times since we began 18 weeks ago and I know that is attributable to the track work, tempo runs and fartlek runs we've done. My 'comfortable, conversational' running pace is around a 9:40-9:50 pace. Last year it was between 10:30-11:00 pace. I am seeing for the first time the benefits of doing more to train than simply covering the necessary distance. When triathlon training begins in earnest the week after next I am going to try to apply these same principles to swim and bike workouts.
Seeing progress is so gratifying even if, by most people's standards, I am still pretty slow. I like feeling my fitness level improve and I really like the feeling of pushing myself harder than I thought I could go. The speed work, the hill work, breaks up what can be monotonous training. I would have never thought it would be possible that I would be able to get faster as I get older, but I actually am.
We have also decided to indulge ourselves, at least for the summer, in a second gym membership. We live in one city 30 minutes away from the city where we both work. John and I both value our workout time and squeezing it in can be a challenge. I signed us up for a family membership at the YMCA - it is reasonably priced, the kids can take swimming lessons and they have a location minutes from both our offices. As a bonus, their lap pool has more expansive, more flexible hours than the college pool in town we currently use.
So far I've used the Y twice over my lunch hour. Yesterday I lifted weights and today I went to Pilates. I have really let those 'bonus' workouts fall to the wayside as I've focused on getting in as many running miles (and swim/bike cross training sessions) as possible. It has been very nice to have the opportunity to do these extra things without battling the logistics of our schedules. I know it is indulgent (I've kept my gym membership at home too) but what better investment than improving my health? I am hopeful this will allow us to squeeze in some extra workouts around the margins of our work days. If it doesn't, we will re-evaluate around Labor Day.
I'm jealous of all of this organization that you have with your running training. I'd love to work on some things, but wish someone would just tell me what to do each time I run. You're clearly seeing improvement...awesome.
ReplyDelete