Thursday, May 20, 2010

Fartlek.... he he he... Fartlek

The discussion of a fartlek workout inevitably makes me chuckle like a 6th grade boy, but they have become my favorite form of speed work. It feels a little funny to write about speed work when I am still hovering around a 9:40-9:50 pace, but for me this is a real improvement in a short period of time. When I started running again in February after taking most of the winter to take fitness classes and avoid the treadmill at all costs I was running a 10:30 pace.

This morning's workout was great. 10 minute warm up (around 9:40 pace) 10 fartlek intervals - 30 seconds fast, 30 second recovery. We were doing our fartlek intervals between 7:30-8:00 pace, our recovery around 10:00-10:30 pace. 10 minute cool down. When I plugged my watch into the computer the graph showed we actually did 11 intervals (oops), ran 3.5 miles at 9:37 average pace.

2 comments:

  1. I think I'll start doing fartleks, just so I can say it out loud. In my mind, I despise speed work in the middle of a workout, much preferring to unload the last 1/4 mile or so...but I now know too many people that this fartlek business (snort, snort) is working for, so I may just have to buckle down and give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had a chance to read through all these posts. I'm jealous. I'm wondering how I'll ever catch up to you once this baby is born. It seems like an overwhelming task right now!

    ReplyDelete