Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Routes

I've been training for Dam to Dam (20K) since February with a running group through my gym. Having previously been a solitary runner and exerciser this has been an adjustment that has been mostly positive. Over the past several months I have done track work outs, hill workouts, tempo runs, fartlek runs - all with an intensity and sense of purpose I've never had. AND I get to run outside on my early morning workouts in the security of a group of people.

This morning was John's morning at the pool, but I talked him into taking both girls into school/day care so I could squeeze in a run when he got home. It was a heartbreakingly beautiful morning and I ran on a route frequented by our running group. You can add distance, subtract hills and see parts of our small city I've rarely traveled. I've run this route on fresh legs, tired legs, with the group, by myself. This morning I ran just under 4 miles at 9:50 pace. I added a little distance (the shortest route is 3) and a hill or two. I listened to music and enjoyed the solitude at the start of my day. I felt grateful for the training I've done that allowed me to cover nearly 4 miles at a steady clip and feel like it was an 'easy' run.

No comments:

Post a Comment