Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Brutal

This morning was the hardest workout I've had of this training season. Yes, I am fully aware I am only 4 weeks into this training season, but it was still rough stuff.

The scheduled workout: A Kenyan Run

Huh?

It described thusly - 4-5 Miles, start at your Dam to Dam goal pace. Every mile increase your pace by :15/per mile.

I got the schedule on Sunday night and I have been nervous about this stupid workout ever since!

This morning we met in our usual spot and began commiserating. I was at least glad to know everyone else was nervous too! We divided into two groups - the fast girls and the mere mortals and set off.

We modified the workout a little bit. Right now my Dam to Dam goal pace is 9:30-9:45 minute miles. But like I said, we are at the start of training, that goal may (and probably will!) change the closer I get. We agreed to start our run for .5 miles at 10 min/mile pace and increase by :15 seconds every mile after that. Then finish with .5 miles at our fastest pace. We felt like we were being clever - start a little slow and finish the run fast.

We did 2 x a 2.5 mile loop gaining speed with each mile. We walked for one minute following our 9:00 mile, then put our foot on the gas for the last half mile.

It was so hard. It was exhilarating. It was empowering. As the day has gone on the runner's high has stayed with me. The longer I sit, the stiffer my legs become.

5.1 miles at an average 9:25 pace. I didn't know I could do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment