Monday, March 7, 2011

One for you, One for me

I teach Spinning on Sunday nights and Monday mornings at the gym. Two classes per week, twelve hours apart. I enjoy teaching very much, but I have quickly come to realize it is not my workout. Don't get my wrong, I work up a sweat, I burn calories but I am there to lead the class through their workout, not to do my own. That may seem like a distinction without a difference, so let me give an example.

Last night in class we were doing a hill climb. Yes I climbed the hill too, but I didn't have my resistance cranked up to the level I would have had I been taking the class. I wasn't breathless at the end of it. I needed to be able to talk (albeit in choppy sentences). I would estimate that when I teach I do the class at about 75% effort versus when I take a class. And that is just great.

So the last couple of weeks on Sundays I head to the gym a little early and do a treadmill speed/weight circuit to get my own Sunday workout. It is quick - 30-35 minutes, but tough, then I go teach Spinning.

This morning we officially kicked off our 12 week Dam to Dam training program. I taught Spinning at 5:30am, came home, got John and the girls off to work and school then hit the trail for short 4 mile run (3.75 to be exact). Negative splits, my legs were a little tired, but it felt good to have my own workout today too.

As I keep track of my workouts, I start my work-out weeks on Monday and I like having a big workout day (Sunday) to end the week and another big work-out day to start it (today). This won't work every week, but its nice right now so I will grab it while I can.


No comments:

Post a Comment