Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Story of Triathlon #3

When last I was here I was 'blogging while sorry for myself' about the loss of the photos capturing triathlon #3. In the aftermath of my meltdown my sweet husband tried to console me. I put myself to bed. Meanwhile, he was plotting. Monday he took our camera to his work IT person and today I got an email that brought a lump to my throat. Most of the photos I thought were gone were recovered. I don't know why this was such a big deal to me, but it was, and I am so grateful that John could know that and try to do something about it for me. And Max, who I've never met, will be getting a nice batch of cookies very soon.

So from a renewed place of gratitude, I will attempt to capture triathlon #3 this weekend.

Last year I raced my first ever triathlon, the YWCA Tri in Minneapolis. It was a fabulous experience, but in hindsight I can say that I didn't really push myself. I covered the distance, I remain proud of the accomplishment and it taught me a lot. Last month I raced my second triathlon, which taught me even more about what it means to actually compete - even if it is only against myself.

It is difficult to articulate, but the event Sunday felt like the first time I REALLY did a triathlon. And in doing the triathlon this weekend a space has opened up where I can see more clearly what I need to do if I am going to keep doing this. Keep working on the bike, keep working on transitions, focus more on speedwork with the run.

But, at last, the photos.

Entering into race day - a photo taken by Hilary - going to get our chips/body marking.









Setting up transition - I'm in the green shirt. (Thanks again for the pic Hilary!)









With my adopted 'posse' Hilary and Holly's neighbors - Joan, Mahli, Leslie, Holly, me, Christine before the race.









A terribly unflattering picture of me - donning my cap and googles, a great one of Holly and Mahli waiting for our swim wave to start.









Could it have been a more beautiful day?









My sweet girls, cheering me on at the start of the race.









The YWCA sets up an area for loved ones to jump in to run the final 100 meters (or so) of the race. Here's me and Ava, sprinting the finish. My heart was full and I was thinking "That was so hard!"









My cheering section - my mom, Mack, Betsy, Amelia and Ava.









This time with John!









Me and my girls after the race. I slammed back into mom mode about 30 seconds after I crossed the finish line and Ava spotted the suckers. Then Amelia spotted Ava's sucker.









In summary - the anticipation was, as usual, very difficult. I was nervous. I had a restless nights sleep. I had a lot of free-floating anxiety.

The swim was really difficult - probably the worst swim of any of the three races I've done. I didn't line up appropriately. I thought hanging toward the back would be a good thing, but instead I was jammed up by the slower swimmers and the thrashing about as everyone jockeyed for position. I think in the future I will line up toward the middle of the pack - where I actually perform. I took in some water in the chaos that was the start and seriously contemplated climbing into the kayak just before the first buoy and calling it a day. I promised myself I would swim to the next buoy and, if I needed to, I would signal for help. I swam a bit off course, but by the second buoy I felt better and glad I didn't throw in the towel.

2009 Swim - 15:40 - 100 pace = 3:08
2010 Swim - 13:25 - 100 pace = 2:41

(Both 500 meters)

After a shaky swim, I felt incredibly clumsy in transition 1. It was a long distance to cover to get out of the water, into transition. Every move felt awkward. I need to practice some more.

2009 T1 = 3:55
2010 T1 = 2:43

After all my talk about the run being my best event, my bike was my favorite leg of this race. I felt like I entered a tunnel and moved along at a steady cadence. The course was flat and lovely. My new bike still leaves me feeling like I am getting away with something. I love bike cleats - why did I wait so long?

2009 Bike - 103:18 - 15 mph pace
2010 Bike - 53:38 - 16.8 mph pace

(Both 15 miles)

Transition 2 was a blur. Into my running shoes, clipping on the race belt. I grabbed a drink, which didn't settle well after taking in some water during the swim, tried to eat a few sport jelly beans and they didn't taste good. So I headed off to run.

2009 T2 - 2:29
2010 T2 - 2:16

The run was very hard. I knew pretty quickly I wouldn't be able to match my Iowa Games pace of 9:11 min miles. The route took us around the lake, which felt endless, even though it was beautiful. About .75 miles from the finish we could see the finish line, but were diverted to complete the 5K. That was brutal. But as I neared the end, I saw my sweet Ava - she reached out, grabbed my hand, and we crossed the finish line together.

2009 Run - 32:25 - 10:26 mile pace
2010 Run - 29:24 - 9:28 mile pace

Overall:

2009 - 157:45
2010 - 141:24

A nearly 17 minute improvement. I celebrate that accomplishment, even as I contemplate how I might do it better next time.



2 comments:

  1. Much better. :) I'm glad you were able to get your pictures, celebrate your successes and figure out what you want to tweak.

    P.S. That would not be, as you called it, a "great shot" of me before the swim. You refer to your bagel...as we now can all see, I own the bagel shop. Note to self: do ab work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post and I love the pictures you got from your camera! I think my favorite is the one of the girls watching the swim. Precious!

    ReplyDelete