I cried in the kitchen while I unloaded the dishwasher. The ugly cry where you kind of pump and gasp for air.
So I went back and re-read this post, which touched me the first time I read it and again tonight. I decided I would list the three things I am grateful for and return to this space, when I am feeling less sorry for myself, to record the milestone that was my third triathlon.
1) Today I was able to complete my third triathlon taking 17 minutes off last year's time.
2) My husband, two daughters, sister (and her boyfriend), mother, sister in law, brother in law, their kids were all there to cheer me on. Not to mention an adopted 'posse' of Hilary and Holly's neighbors who were on the course and welcomed me into the fold.
3) Time will blur the disappointment I am feeling this evening.
PS Hilary took a few pictures of me, which are burned on a disk that I haven't been able to bring myself to open. The race people no doubt captured my sweet Ava running me in at the end of this hard, wonderful event.
It was an intense weekend for sure! As you get a few days out, hopefully you'll be able to focus on the incredible improvement you made in your tri times and be proud of all you've accomplished! It was fun being out there cheering all of you on, and makes me nervous all at the same time for next year!!
ReplyDeleteAnd FYI...so far we're all clear here!
This post makes me sad...I feel bad for you that this is how you feel after this weekend. But I get it. You had a lot of "side stuff" to deal with which certainly served as a distration.
ReplyDeleteAs we talked about, we just didn't want to be disappointed. And while lopping off 17 minutes is awesome, if there's even a small piece that feels a little disappointing to YOU (though certainly no one else views it that way!),it taints things. I hope that in these few post race days, you'll be able to feel good about #3.
If not, let me know what size t-shirt you'd like, if you want peach or light tan, and which "inspirational" message should be on it. :)