Saturday, January 29, 2011

Back Outside, Decision Time

I think I have mentioned a time or two (or ten) how much I dislike running on the treadmill. The treadmill eliminates everything I love about a good run and leaves the things I don't like so much behind. With a goal of staying in some kind of running shape through the depths of winter I have gutted out 3 or so runs per week on the treadmill - usually not more than 4 miles. I mix it up with circuits or speed, but most of the time I am just glad when it's over.

Even though we are only at the end of January and, frankly months from Spring I have been longing for a good outside run. The weather (and lack of early morning daylight) chased me inside mid-November and I've only had a handful of outside runs since.

Friday morning I was able to squeeze in just under 4 miles outside. Temperatures for the day were forecasted in the 40's, but first thing in the morning it was still pretty chilly. I was dodging melted then refrozen slush and it was a little colder than I dressed for... I have been working on 'speed work' on the treadmill (I use quotes because I suspect many would laugh at what I consider a fast run) and thought when I stepped back outside I would float right down the road.

The run was ok- I was a little cold, slower than I wanted to be, but ever so grateful to be back outside. I know we're in the stage of winter where I may well have days here in there over the next six weeks that I can run outside. I know there will be runs in August where I will feel like I might just burst into flames. But I love the wind on my face, the unexpected route, beating the hill and the calm that settles over me after a nice outdoor run. Spring can't come soon enough.

A couple of people from my running group have decided to run the Twin Cities Marathon in October. My brother in law ran it last year and had a great experience. My sister and her boyfriend live in the Twin Cities. I graduated from college and graduate school there. I love the Twin Cities - it is probably the only other place we'd seriously consider living. I turned 39 a couple of weeks ago and while I am not the least bit freaked out by the number or that 40 is looming, I do feel a bit compelled to do something big to bookend my 30's.

The thing is, if a person is going to run the Twin Cities marathon you pretty much have to register the day registration opens. That is February 2nd. It is $100. I have spent $100 on a lot more foolish things than securing a spot.... but if I am going to sign up I need to be ready to say I am planning to do it.

How many of Kristin Armstrong's blog posts have I linked? I don't know, but I keep coming back to this one, "The Vulnerability of the Try." Am I ready to say to say "Let it be stated, for the record, that I, Kate Walton, am trying to run a marathon?" For my own purposes, I think I have until Wednesday to find out.


1 comment:

  1. First of all, way overdue Happy Belated Birthday!

    I think you should do the TC Marathon. Here's why...you've been talking about the possibility of a marathon for as long as I've known you (albiet, I haven't known you that long, but you've clearly been bouncing this one around for some time). You've conquered other physical tasks quite well. You love the TC and the route is stunning. You play head games with yourself...get the monkey off your back. I'm toying with the 10 mile...maybe I'll see you there, and will be sure to cheer you on. :) Come on. Do it.

    ReplyDelete