Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Signs

So I'm a week out from the Twin Cities marathon and the glow is just beginning to fade.  Really, what an amazing experience.  Even as I sit here I can't believe it was actually me on the other side of that finish line. Something I was thinking about and forgot to include in my race recap post (if you can believe I actually left anything out?!) were some signs and spectator things....  By far the biggest boost and inspiration I got was from seeing John, Ava, Amelia, Lane, Hilary and Holly on the course.  But here were some of my favorite signs:

At the start of the race there was a person holding a sign saying, "May the Course Be With You!"  Loved that!

I saw a couple that said, "This is the Worst Parade Ever!"

There was a woman who popped up on the course a couple of times holding a sign that said, "Cookie Dough Blizzard."

The one that made me tear up:  "Someday you won't be able to do this... Today is not that day."

"You're a Badass Mother Runner."

"To me it looks like you're winning."

Somewhere along mile 20-21 an older man, maybe late 50's, stepped off the curb, on to the course, looked me in the eye and said, "you can do this.  You are strong."  Writing it that sounds kind of weird, but in the moment it jolted me out of my plodding step by step and lifted me up a little bit.  I sure appreciated it!


2 comments:

  1. Those are great, and I'm impressed you remembered all of them after all those miles! My co-worker who ran said her favorite was one that said, "Toenails are for sissies!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I LOVE those signs! I'm so mad that we didn't even think to do a funny/clever/inspirational sign. I never saw any of them - I'm glad you committed them to memory.

    ReplyDelete