Thursday, October 13, 2011

Afterwards

Usually after a big race I have a bit of a crash, a let down.  Perhaps I am setting myself up for a major tumble, but so far that hasn't happened post-marathon. I remain amazed by the experience, proud of myself and happy I did it, but I am missing the the usual post race depression that has always set in...  

In fact, I actually kind of feel relieved. I am really enjoying working out for fitness without the pressure of a large looming goal.  Yesterday I left Iowa for a quick work trip to DC.  My flight left Des Moines early and my meetings didn't begin until afternoon, so I took myself for a run on the Mall.  I ran that 5 mile loop with such a feeling of joy - a feeling that has been masked these past couple of months by the big looming goal of the marathon.

This morning when I was in the hotel gym (dark and pouring rain outside so no run for me) I was listening to my iPod and a song came up that zoomed me back to the last hard miles of the marathon.  It is "Just Say Yes" by Snow Patrol:

"Just say yes, just say there's nothing holding you back.  It's not a test nor a trick of the mind only love."

Until that moment I didn't even remember listening to that song, but a little lump rose in my throat remembering slogging along Summit Ave toward the finish line.  If that is the extent of my post-race crash I'll take it! 



No comments:

Post a Comment