Saturday, October 22, 2011

Running Long

Maybe I've hit a little post marathon lull.  I am enjoying my unstructured workouts, I feel good maintaining my fitness, I am looking forward to Living History Farms with John, Brian and Hilary next month but I can feel that familiar loose ends feeling creeping in. It is getting colder, darker, harder to run first thing in the morning.  I can kind of see the Winter months coming and I am worried about losing all this fitness I have worked so hard to gain this year.  


I am reassuring myself by running regularly for as long as the weather will permit, knowing I have come in and out of running shape many times, I will do it again.


As you know, I love Kristin Armstrong's blog on Runner's World.  This week she writes about signing up for a 50 mile race.  FIFTY MILES. But she writes about it in a way that is so relatable, whatever the distance you are conquering, whatever the goal you are setting.  Then she includes this statement that just hit me between the eyes:


"There is something magical about running; after a certain distance, it transcends the body.  Then a bit futher, it transcends the mind.   A bit further yet, and what you have before you, laid bare, is the soul."


I got an up close look at that magical place in running and I want to hold it tight as long as I can...

No comments:

Post a Comment