I met up with Molly and Megan to run the 19. We started around 5:45am at a very easy pace - around 10:15/mile. We broke the run into two large loops, with a short one at the end to finish the distance. The first loop was about 7.8 miles, which passed quickly.
The second loop was a little bit over 8 miles and that loop was more difficult. It was hilly and we struggled at times. We all seemed to hit a lull around mile 13-14, we got quiet, focused and dug in for the last 5-6 miles. We got to the spot by the elementary school where I had dropped water and Gatorade and someone had picked it up/stolen it. Ugh! Change of plans.
We headed off in the direction of the closest known drinking fountain about a mile away. After a drink and a quick rest I felt really re-charged. We ran back to our cars for some Gatorade and snacks before finishing the run.
When we got to our cars after 16 miles I was ravenous. I had tossed a couple of bananas in the car and ate one in about two bites! I think that is the first time I've been anything but a little nauseous on a long run, and it was nice. With 3 miles to go my legs were like tree trunks but I knew I would be able to cover the distance and that gave me a real boost.
Off we went, up the trail, 1.5 miles out, 1.5 miles back. I was in the zone feeling really committed to running the whole 19 and running it strong. Our few attempts at conversations fizzled - we couldn't really come up with much to say to each other. At the turn around I mentally broke the distance into 6 turns around the track... then 5.... then 4.....
I would have never thought I could finish running 19 miles feeling strong, good. Don't get me wrong, I was happy to be done, but I didn't feel like I couldn't possibly run one more step. Today I know that, barring any major catastrophe, I can get myself across the finish line of the marathon. It might not be pretty, I might have to walk, but I think I could do it.
One more big run (22 miles) in three weeks and then we start to taper.
Wow! That is seriously so very, very impressive! I have a strong feeling this marathon is going to go even better than you're anticipating. You're training smart, you're training hard, you're in a good place mentally...I wrote it on my calendar today and I can't wait to come cheer you on!!
ReplyDeleteYay, yay, yay! Good for you. It's on my calendar too!
ReplyDelete