Reflecting on that race I thought there were a couple of things I could have done to improve. First, was more mid-week runs. I often ran only twice during the week, with one long weekend run due to a demanding work schedule and juggling so John could workout too. The second thing I thought would help me is more 10 mile runs. Last year I did one 10 miler, one 11 miler in anticipation of the race. I thought one more solid double digit run would help my strength and confidence.
This year I am doing much better with the mid-week runs - nearly always squeezing in at least 3 mid-week runs with a long one the weekend. This morning we were scheduled for a race simulation workout - 6 miles, 6 hill repeats, 1 mile cool down. When we finished our hill repeats we were at 7.6 miles. A couple of us decided to extend our cool down to hit double digits. It was exactly what I needed. My second 10 miler of the season with time in the calendar to do one, maybe two more before we taper for race day.
My times on my 10 milers have been a real confidence boost. (I've hovered around a 9:20 pace, although I do stop by watch when we stop for water breaks - who's anal?) I would love, love, love to average a 9:30 pace for Dam to Dam - give me a little cushion to break 2 hours (which is a 9:40 pace). I can't control the weather, but I am doing what I can to improve the things I can for my third running of this race!
No comments:
Post a Comment