Sunday, April 10, 2011

Goodness

The great mystery of running to me is why some runs come relatively easy and others do not. I've gone out for an easy 3 miler and felt every last slow step. And then I have runs like yesterday where I cover 8.5 in a pretty good clip and finish feeling like I could have run further. There was a place around 6-6.5 miles where my legs starting to shut down, ache a little, but I ran through it, got a second wind and finished my last mile just over 9 minute pace.

There's a woman in my training group who is having a rough season. She is a strong runner, but has struggled mightily this year to find her groove. I know the bad runs are clearly there to teach us something. To hydrate better, to eat better, to sleep better.... They also show me I can run through it, I can finish when I don't want to or think I can't. When I haven't slept well or eaten well. I'm watching my friend show up, week after week, attempting to slay the mind monkeys and run strong. I admire her perseverance and hope some good runs are right around the corner.

The most important thing the bad runs do is make me appreciate the good ones even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment