I ran the Drake 8K last year in 47:27 for a 9:33 average pace. This was the first race after having my children where I was proud of my performance. OK, that doesn't sound right, but I don't know how else to phrase it. Yes, I was proud of finishing my first Dam to Dam, yes I was very proud of finishing my first triathlon. I guess what I mean is I was proud of my time? Anyway.... the race holds kind of a soft spot for me. I ran it with a good friend, I performed well, it is inexpensive, pretty course.....
This year I have some curiosity about how quickly I could race the event. I've had some good runs the past couple of weeks and am seeing average pace times at distances I frankly didn't think were possible. And yes, I fully recognize that what constitutes fast for me would not be viewed as fast for most runners. But I am drawn to the idea of repeating this race and seeing how much I can improve my time over last year.
On the flip side, my running group has a 10 miler on tap for this weekend. We are 5 weeks out from Dam to Dam, so I still have plenty of time to work in two to three 10 milers before the race. But where I am in training I like the idea of covering 10 this weekend. I really like to the idea of running more 10 milers this year than last in anticipation of the race. I am being held back a little bit by the hassle factor of getting up early, driving a half an hour, waiting around for awhile, racing 5 and coming back home. Basically spending 3 hours to run for 45 minutes or so. Saturday mornings are hectic at our house - the girls have tumbling and dance - both John and I try to fit in our runs....
Time to make up my mind!
No comments:
Post a Comment