Tomorrow I am planning to run my fourth Dam to Dam, a 20K race that has become a bit of a touchstone for me along my running path. The first year I ran the race (2009) was when I was trying to get back into some kind of shape after Amelia was born. (Shut up - I know she was 2 the first year I ran it). I trained alone, I barely followed a plan, but I got myself accross the finish line in 2:17: 36, around an 11 minute pace.
The second time through Dam to Dam I joined a training group. I started learning about speedwork, hill repeats, training with some consistency, some intensity, not doing quite so much cross training. I trained smart and thought I was really ready to have a great race. And it poured rain the first 8 miles of the run. I still managed to best my time by a little over 10 minutes, coming in at 2:07:15.
The third time running Dam to Dam I trained specifically for the race with my training group and I worked really hard. It was the first time I had a time goal and that was to finish under 2 hours. Of course the race fell on the first hot day of the year. Even so, I sailed through the first 10 miles or so feeling pretty good and running a pretty good race. Then I had the worst bonk I've ever had in any race ever, right after mile 10. I learned a lot from that - I still call on that experience. I learned I need to take more sugar. But more importantly I learned that I can re-group, finish strong and meet my goal. And I did - 1:59:29.
I'm not sure what this year's race will bring. The weather is supposed to be bordering on perfect. I am running with some friends. I didn't train specifically for this race this year, focusing instead on the Lake Minnetonka Half. I've kept my conditioning up since that race and know I am prepared to go the distance. My mind is looking forward, past Dam to Dam to the Women Rock Full. This sort of feels like a training run. I would like to run faster than last year's time because I do like the thought of running this race four years in a row and running it better each year. What I'm really liking right now is how relaxed I feel about it. I'm not nervous, I know I can do it, I think I can run it faster if I'm having a good day. And that's a nice touchstone of its own.
Friday, June 1, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment