How many times do I need to take to this space to say I really am going to try to be better about writing? Well I am, I promise. I have kicked off my training schedule for the Women Rock Marathon and am now wrapping up my second week. It is a little bit of a funny start because right here at the top of my training I will be racing Dam to Dam next Saturday. So I recovered from the Lake Minnetonka Half, trained for a couple of weeks and now I will taper for Dam to Dam! It all fits nicely into a 15 week training program, I promise!
Some things that are on my mind.... first, the heat. We had a mild winter (yipee!) but a really hot spring and summer has hit us like a ton of bricks. Two friends have had Spring marathons black flagged due to heat. This morning when I was out on my 6 miler I was running along just fine for the first 4.5, then got overwhelmed by the temperature. I finished the last 1.5,but it was a slog and I felt kind of nauseous the last little bit. I left the house for my run at 6:45am, but it certainly tells me I need to hydrate well and run as early as possible through this training season. Oh and begin right now to pray for decent weather the day of the Women Rock. I don't want to spend the summer training and preparing only to have the event cancelled!!!
This summer John and I have joined a CSA. This means each Friday we get a box of produce grown at a small farm just outside of Des Moines. So far we've had two deliveries. It's early in the season, so the deliveries have included garlic scapes, braising greens, lettuce, spinach, asparagus, radishes and eggs. I know we are two weeks into this, but I already love seeing the lovely produce in our refrigerator and figuring out what we are cooking to put it to good use. We've had enough salad to turn ourselves into rabbits. Amelia eats the salad with great gusto, Ava not as much. I put the garlic scapes into our quinoa, John put them into some salad dressing. Last night we had Mexican chicken with poblano sauce and greens. Tonight it is salmon with ginger greens. I feel like the CSA will insure we stay on track eating lots of fresh food this summer.
Sunday, May 27, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment