This morning I ran.... I ran the Red Flannel Run - but mostly I ran as part of a larger effort, a Virtual Run for Sherry Arnold a runner from Montana who was killed while she was out on a run last month. I did not know of Sherry until I heard she was missing when I stopped by a favorite running blog, Shut up and Run. I followed her story for the week it took for authorities to take two men into custody, charged with her murder. When I heard the news she was presumed dead I cried as if I knew her.
In a way I did know her. We're both wives, mothers, step-mothers, runners.... She left her house early that Saturday morning to run - no doubt before the family activities of the day began. I've done that run by myself, so many times without a single thought of my own safety. It is not an exaggeration to say that I have thought of Sherry on every single run since.
Last night was a restless night. Ava woke in the middle of the night with a bad dream, so she laid in our bed while I tried to get back to sleep in hers. I knew Saturday morning was going to be the coldest day of Winter, so far. I knew some friends would be waiting at the starting line of the race for me. What got me there was the promise I had made to myself and virtually to race for Sherry. To unite some collective mother runner energy on her behalf this cold Saturday morning. It is hard to measure, but I hope it made a tiny difference in the collective consciousness of the people who knew and loved her to have so many people show up for Sherry in so many ways.
As you knew it would be, the race went great. It was 4 degrees at the start (with a -11 windchill) and as you might expect it was very difficult to get warmed up. Yesterday was a rest day, so my legs were fresh and I was hopped up in the race environment. My first mile was way too fast. Once I settled down I was very pleased with my pace, especially for Winter-time with some inconsistent running and non-existent speedwork.
My splits were:
Mile 1 - 8:17
Mile 2 - 9:19
Mile 3 - 9:08
Mile 4 - 9:11
Mile 5 - 8:44
Running watch distance: 5.08
Running watch time: 45:26
Sherry - I hope that God's grace is surrounding you and your family and they you are all lifted in some small way by the community of people who ran in your honor.
Great race today, Kate.
ReplyDeleteBut more importantly, great cause and reason to remember. I can only imagine how humbling it is for her family to see and hear about so many strangers coming together in her honor.