Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I signed up for a triathlon? What?!

Several months ago I signed up for my third running of the YWCA Women's only triathlon in Minneapolis. My sister's running it for the first time. Hilary's running it (and will smoke me with her time) after a pregnancy induced hiatus last year. I thought it would be fun.

Yes, I know I signed up for a marathon that will take place a mere six weeks after the triathlon. But I thought fitting in some training would be good cross training! I thought for sure my fitness level would carry me through the event. Because, after all, I've done a few of these now.
Panic is setting in now that the event is less than a month away. I've done very little swimming. My only biking has been Spinning class. What was I thinking? This week I've managed to get myself to the pool once, out on my bike once. I hope to do each at least one more time.

I am trying to remind myself of my intention. That my goals are to enjoy the event. To acknowledge what it is to me, which is a milestone that marks a return to a commitment to fitness that began three years ago at this event (and my first Dam to Dam). To enjoy being a part of my sister's first triathlon. To enjoy being smoked by Hilary. To get through the event without minimal anxiety.

Eyes on the prize Kate!

No comments:

Post a Comment