Thursday, January 5, 2012

New Year, New Gear

For Christmas this year I got some new running gear - isn't it funny how new things can add new energy?  At least for me... I swear a new outfit can brighten my day! :)

So here's the gear and my thoughts:

On my Christmas wish list was the Nike GPS running watch.  Yes, I know, I already have a Garmin that works perfectly well. I had absolutely no need for a new watch except I wanted one.  Practically the perfect definition of a Christmas gift, right?  I've used the watch on several runs now and I give it a very enthusiastic thumbs up.  For starters, it is much, much less bulky than the Garmin I have.  The interface is much more intuitive and streamlined.  The battery life is exceptional and, if you wanted to, you could wear it as a regular watch.  The Garmin is connected to satellites when it is turned on, but the Nike watch functions as a regular watch and then you activate the GPS/running when you are ready for a run - very cool.  The only downside I would identify is the sync with the computer.  I am sure that is user error on my part, but I haven't really been able to get that to work.  It is supposed to show you maps, pacing etc...  but I just can't figure it out how to make that work.

I also got some Smart Wool running socks, which I love. I have been using Target champion running socks, which are just fine, but the Smart Wool socks are great.  They kind of hug the arch of my foot in a way that feels very supportive without being tight.  They are warm, but breathable.  I would highly recommend a little splurge on these socks. I'll be curious to see how they feel in the warm weather.

I had read a review of these Knuckle Lights for early morning runs and bought a pair for both Lane and John for Christmas.  Then my mom bought me a pair.  I used them for the first time this morning and they are awesome.  They throw a nice wide field of light that isn't at all wobbly and they definitely made me noticeable to cars. They fit over my hands in a way that was barely noticeable to me and that's saying something, because I am typically easily irritated by extraneous things when I run.

I had been Winter running in a pair of running tights I've had for more than 10 years.  Taking them off the other day I noticed how shabby and mis-shapen they looked.  I had a Christmas gift certificate from Scheels and decided it was time to upgrade the tights.  After reading several product reviews, I ended up buying the CWX insulated running tights. I got mine at Scheels for about $20 less than listed here in the link.  Even with a gift card and a little leftover Christmas money they were spendy.  Given that I had been wearing the tights I had for a decade it seemed like an item worth spending some money on! I wore them for the first time this morning and what an upgrade!  These are compression tights so they hug all the jiggles in...  they were supportive without being uncomfortably tight.  I find I really prefer the fitted capris and tights - extra bulk around my ankles seems to really bug me. My old tights are tucked in the back of the closet, but I will only take them out again if I run Living History Farms next year!



1 comment:

  1. Totally jealous on all counts. I can live without the watch, but it's cool.

    I can afford the socks and J had his eye on these. Your stamp of approval and firsthand experience will seal the deal and we'll get some of these.

    Knuckle lights=genius. Want now.

    The tights...love them. No gift certificate here...so those will just have to wait.

    Sigh. Guess I'll just have to get super excited about my socks.

    ReplyDelete