Saturday, December 31, 2011

Crickets Chirping

The crickets have been chirping in this space for the last couple of months.  If you can believe it, I felt like I didn't have a lot to say after the marathon.  It's been a great couple of months - running when I feel like it, taking classes, lifting weights.  I ran two races -  Living History Farms - a total blast, but I can't get the electronic copy of the picture I want - I have contacted the photographer, but they apparently don't want my $60!  I also ran the Jingle Bell 5K on a bracing cold morning.

Here I sit, on the eve of the new year, contemplating 2012.

What I know:

I really like being fit, healthy and seeing my athletic performance improve even as I age.

I am signed up for the Lake Minnetonka half marathon on May 6th with Brian and Hilary (can't wait!) a hilly Spring half to keep me motivated in the coming months.

I am also signed up to run the Drake Relays 8K with my dear friend Bill.  I will pace him on his first road race and can't wait!

John and I decided to enter the lottery for the New York marathon.  Only about 1/3 of the people who enter the lottery are able to run it - it's a long shot, but I love the symbolism of the possibility of running that race together in the brief window of me being 40 and John being 50.

What I'm thinking about:

If I don't get into the New York marathon do I want to run Chicago?  Or wait until 2013?

Do I want to focus this year on running halfs?  Maybe push myself to do a series of races - Lake Minnetonka, Dam to Dam, Red, White and Boom, a triathlon, a Fall half (Lake Geneva?), Living History Farms.....

Is this the year I could possibly break 2 hours in a half?  I am not eyeing it for Lake Minnetonka - a hilly course early in the season - I don't want to set myself up for disappointment.

Resolution for 2012:

Do speedwork once a week - even if it is just a few minutes.

Weight train once a week - getting back on track with weight training is really helping my overall fitness.

Run with gratitude - for my health, my blessed life, my loving husband, all four of (my) children.

Come back to this space and write more frequently.  I've enjoyed reading back over these entries and reminding myself of the journey.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment